Thursday 28 May 2015

Creative Writing - One Day in July

One Day In July
Thursday 28th May 2015
I am learning to write to entertain my audience.

That morning the story kept playing out in my head a million times. One year ago before my little sister’s birthday, my mum and I were going to throw a surprise party for her but in the process of planning I said Emma wouldn’t like a surprise birthday party. She is very shy and she would probably faint from all of that excitement and all those people.

I thought that instead Emma and I should go for a  walk to the lake deep in the park. Emma enjoyed spending time there. It was a place where she relaxed. That morning of her birthday on the 18th of July,I headed out the door around 10 am, with my sister. Emma was excited because she was rarely allowed to go to the lake, our parents said it was unnatural. Emma didn’t understand what the word meant. After all she was only 4, turning 5 that day.


Emma and I were at the lake, Emma spoke“Charlie I don’t think this is the lake it doesn't look the same at all. Maybe your directions were wrong,” but I knew they weren’t because I had listened carefully to our parents instructions. I read the sign in my head. “What does it say?,” Emma blurted out, I said in a nervous voice that this was indeed the lake. Emma and I continued our journey to the best spot in the lake, A big comfy bench; bad mistake. We should've just turned around and gone to the park.


We ventured deeper into the abnormal place. The lake murmured as we passed, but the bench was not in sight anywhere. I removed my backpack. It was a navy blue colour. Then I unzipped the black zip and the sound was like an engine roaring.”What are you doing?!” exclaimed Emma “This is no time for a snack, I want to find the bench now,” she yelled. “Quiet down”, I replied since we can’t seem to find the bench we shall picnic here. “ Fine, I am pretty hungry anyway,”Emma’s tummy groaned as she spoke. I pulled out a bright yellow mat. Next I pulled out a see through big container full of goodies, such as a mouth watering lemon meringue pie, fairy bread, cupcakes, pastries and a beautiful tart.“ Wow! Who made all this?,” Emma said. “Mum,” I answered “She really loves you, enough to bake you all these goodies I said as I flicked my chocolate brown hair back. Dig in! I declared. We both stuffed ourselves with most of the goodies.


Emma still ate as I scanned bank of the river. It was full of pebbles, smooth like silk. I stood up and walked towards the river. Emma looked up. “Charlie.” she yelled it was as if I was possessed. As the sun glittered on the water, I picked up a round shaped pebble. Emma ran after me, for she was frightened. She shook me hard. It seemed to wake me from my trance. “What,” I said in frustration “Oh my gosh! You scared me to death,” said Emma. I was confused but I didn’t say a word. This was a very strange place.


With the pebble still in my grasp, I tossed it into the lake “My turn.” said Emma. She proceeded to pick up a pebble then she chucked it into the lake, ripples duplicated.”Your turn.” Emma said handing me a nice pebble. I inspected the pebble. I looked at the stone and in my hand then in my head I said what a strange stone as it was heart shaped. None the less I still threw it in perfectly we watched the stone create ripples by now the pebble should have sunk and it would be happily living beneath the water.

“No!”It exclaimed. It refused instead it came skipping back on the water as if it had a mind of it’s own. Plop, Plop, Plop it went and landed right at my feet and despite my thoughts and intuition I bent down cautiously to pick up the stone. Once I did I flipped it over. I practically jumped out of myself. For starters it was the same stone as I had once again identified the heart shape. On top of that there was a frightening message on the other side. Emma recognised that there was a message to.


On the pebble the words GO AWAY spelt out. I dropped my jaw then the pebble. “Quick, Emma!” I exclaimed. I rushed to the mat packed all the baked goods into the container, shoved it into my backpack right after I put the mat in. I stuck my hand out to her hand hoping she would cling to it ,  instead she stood still like a statue “I want to stay.” she said “Are you mad Emma! Lets go! There’s a cake at home for you, but you won’t get it if you don’t come.” Emma’s eyes lit up “Cake,” she said.

She grabbed my hand and we both dashed home as fast as our little feet could carry us. At last we were out of that horrifying lake. When we reached home we sang happy birthday and Emma cut the cake (with help of course). The next morning I woke up and said “Phew, maybe that was all a dream or nightmare, and today is Emma’s birthday.” I sat up took a deep breath and opened my eyes I glance to my bedside table hoping there would be some water to calm me down but there beside me was the troubling pebble.


So what happened? Was Charlie mad? Was this all a dream that he was about to awake from ? Or did the magical adventure really happen?
You choose the ending.     


By Vidani

No comments:

Post a Comment