Friday 1 May 2015

Creative Writing - The House on the Hill

The House on the Hill
by Chloe Simpson

I am learning to entertain my audience.


As far as I can remember back, I had always lived with my Auntie Alice. I can’t say many people are like my Aunt. She is hmmm… slightly strange, Very forgetful and people often yell at her, “Witch, wicked witch of the house on the Hill.” You see we live high up on the hill, people refuse to live below us. However my aunt isn’t a witch, she is very sweet but unique.

In our house things are different. I wake to find a large ice-cream sundae for breakfast prepared by Aunt Alice, for my tenth birthday I got a pet tiger cub named Kira. We never clean the house but yet in a blink of an eye my Aunt cleans it. (Generally she sends me to a shops when this happens).

There is only one rule when living in the House on the Hill, and that is, my Aunt has a door that leads to a room that no one has ever been in expect her. The door must stay shut at all times. “Do not, and I repeat myself, do not enter that room. The door must be kept shut at all times.” This door is no ordinary door, found on the second floor of the house, very large in size and heavy solid wood, with large brass door knobs shaped as a lion’s head. I have always followed my Aunt’s wishes.  

However It all started when one gloomy day my Auntie Alice left that door wide open. This was a day that no one could truly forget. I could feel a gentle breeze coming inside, feeling it as it sent goosebumps over my flesh. The wind started to pick up, blowing harder and harder, When all of a sudden a loud noise was stamping closer and closer towards me. A huge hairy moose and a furious lion appeared coming out behind the door. When they noticed me standing in the corner of the living room, they both charged right at me. I screamed and started sprinting as fast as I could off to my bedroom, up some stairs, past the kitchen, the bathroom, also past the study. Then up some more stairs, past some other rooms. Running in fear, as these creatures closed in on me.

Finally safe at last in my own cozy bedroom, I slammed the door shut behind me as I slid my weight down as my back pushed against the door sliding to floor holding my cub tiger, Kira to protect her. The strong wind I had once felt started to build again, I could feel the strong wind beating against my arm, beating me as if he was attacking me. It was coming from the window that I had left wide open. It was not a normal breeze that comes from outside it was much, much stronger.

I looked at the window and I saw a humongous hawk flying next to my bed. My cub was shivering with fear and I was too. I quietly whispered to Kira,” We will be ok Kira its fine”.  Looking up I had noticed the wallpaper that was generally covered in colourful birds, was now missing some of the repeating pattern. Scared that the rest of the wall would come alive I ran down the stairs holding Kira. The Hawk darting after us, trapping us on the second floor, the Hawk squawking at me as if it was laughing, as it played a game of cat and mouse.Before a strange devil type alien with horns that was going squelch, squelch, right in front of me.  Freezing in my steps, I heard a familiar sound, it was the sound of my tiger cub trying to roar, she still hadn't mastered it yet but when I turned back to Kira, as she started roaring just like an adult tiger even though she is only six months old.

My little tiger, leaped from my arms, I screamed after her as she started to charge at the devil and the hawk.  When all of a sudden the roar from Kira sent sound waves through the room forcing the devil to shake as he split back into two, it was the lion and moose from earlier. Kira continue to roar as she backed them into the corner, pushing them with her roar towards the forbidden door.  I moved quickly behind her as she made them enter the room, slamming the door shut. “Whew that was lucky. Kira you saved me and yourself.’

As I stood cuddling Kira, I thought back over the events.  Where had my Aunt been during all of this? Was this the reason why the door needed to stay shut? Was she really a witch that everyone had claimed. It all made sense now, the forbidden door, a gateway to a magical world, a magical cub gifted to protect me from the possibilities of this house, the house on the hill. I would definitely need more information from my Aunt upon her return. 

No comments:

Post a Comment