Wednesday 13 May 2015

Creative Writing - The Glowing Pumpkin

Inspired from one of
the images of Harris Burdick chronicles - Just Dessert.
I a.l.t Entertain my audience

The Glowing Pumpkin
By Bianca Arcilla

At home I’m sitting at my rocking chair keeping a secret that nobody is ever going to believe that happened. And because of all that madness, I get scared at night and hide in my blanket and never eat pumpkin soup.   

The  secret was that last week, I was just in the museum in my taxidermy chamber which is on the top floor. Nobody was there except for me. No wait, there were security guards shining their torches at the marble floor in the insect exhibit downstairs and my assistant outside my door guarding me, back facing towards my chamber.  While everybody was doing that, I was trying to stuff the Ghost Pumpkin, also thinking that the insides of the pumpkin should be for some sweet pumpkin pie.  When I held the knife readily to cut the pumpkin, I took a last look at the beautiful, neon orange skin of the pumpkin, but then suddenly, there was a blackout.  There were no lanterns or candles so I had to do the stuffing in the dark.

When I was went to chop the stalk, my knife was 5 inches away, ready to chop the top. But as I lowered the knife onto the skin, the pumpkin’s orange flesh  grew bright like a lantern so, as I saw this I cut a small piece as small as a papercut. Then a mysterious voice made my heart beat fast and gave me goosebumps . It called in a spooky voice“ Be careful my young one cause I‘m going to the insect exhibit.” Then when I lifted the knife I heard a blood curling scream as if somebody was getting stabbed in the neck.Quickly I jumped up and scurried down the stairs like a frightened fox to check it out , I found the security guards dead. As I went up the stairs… again, and into the chamber, and went inside, I cut another piece of the neon pumpkin and the voice repeated itself but called something else it called “I’m going up the stairs my dear” Soon, I heard wooden steps, pang! pang! pang!. When I have cut a third piece the voice called again “I’m now going to the door!”  and I found my assistant dead with his blue eyes open and his mouth with blood coming out. But I even saw the doorknob turning and I heard a creak.

Now finally, I had cut the stalk of the pumpkin. But this time, the voice did not speak no more. Instead, I looked up and saw with horror that instead that the spooky voice has revealed itself into pumpkin with a carved face.   Like the ones you see in halloween. But also, the pumpkin had a gray ghost body. Worst of all, he didn’t come in peace cause he was holding an axe with my initials on it; M.W. Soon I had a strange feeling why the pumpkin is called the Ghost Pumpkin. But anyway, the pumpkin called “You’ve cut me three times tonight. Now you’re dead meat!”

After this sentence, he tried to give me a straight cut with the axe on my hand but instead the axe was in between two of my fingers, so I ran from the museum and into the street. But as I turned around, the floating pumpkin’s head fell on the concrete, along with the axe. Oh well, maybe he can only live in the museum. Then a passing stranger told me that the thing is still trying to chase me

Now, I don’t know how but, the head of the ghost is sitting on the windowsill still having that smiling creepy face with the axe to make me go into the street so he can attack me,  since he stopped attacking me after I went home. But, the pumpkin is still going to haunt me for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment